I posted that I made Baked Oatmeal on my facebook the other day and was SHOCKED to learn that many people had never heard of this heavenly delight.
Feast your eyes on….
There is absolutely nothing special about the ingredients. I’m guessing most people have this stuff in their pantry already.
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg. Add milk mixture to oat mixture; stir well. Pour oat mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
I tweaked this recipe (from Cooking Light) for my own purposes. I didn’t have enough milk, so I used 1/2 c. Fat Free plain Yogurt to complete the dairy component. Then, I added a teaspoon of cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and sliced Almonds (I hate walnuts). I ended up needing to bake mine for a little longer because the yogurt made the batter a bit too creamy.
I served this with some Fat Free vanilla yogurt that I sprinkled nutmeg and cinnamon on. This is DELICIOUS! The kids loved it too.